In July 2013 I will embark on a 500 km bike ride from Vancouver, BC to the base of Mount Rainier in Washington. From here I will climb approximately 10,000 vertical feet to the summit of the mountain and then descend the mountain on skis. After a day or two of rest I will then cycle back home to Vancouver.
My goal in doing this trip is to raise money for research of Systemic Autoimmune Rheumatic Diseases (SARDs). This is a group of autoimmune (AI) diseases which includes Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Wegener’s Granulomatosis (which I suffer from) and many other rare conditions. There is no cure for most of these diseases. I want to prove to myself and others afflicted with similar conditions that it is still possible to live an active and adventurous life after diagnosis. All of the money I raise during this expedition will go directly to the Arthritis Society of Canada for specific research projects.
I would like to highlight the people who are planning to assist me with this expedition as a member of the team. This section will grow over the next few months as new members commit or sign up.
- Marie-Helene Marshall: My wife. She will certainly be my primary supporter and plans to come on the trip with me from start to finish (maybe not completing the whole trip, but being there)
- Jane and Mike Marshall: My parents. They will be helping with a support vehicle and taking care of my dog. They have also been a huge help in drumming up donations.
- Bob Marshall: My fitter younger brother. He plans to join me for as much of the trip as he can (being a new father and all…)
- Ashley Weber: One of my closest friends since we were 9 years old. A key member of the climbing team and plans to lead the way for the entire trip.
- Steve and Sarah Marshall: They have been instrumental in the success of the kick off party and will be joining me for the entire trip.
- Andrew Legate and Christine Ward: Andrew plans to join us for the whole trip with Christine riding, hiking, and assisting Marie in getting the support vehicle down.
- Andre-Jean Maheu: AJ is the avalanche forecaster at Grouse Mountain and will be meeting us at Mount Rainier with fresh legs to help pull us up the mountain.
- Kathleen Marshall: My sister will be hosting us for two nights in Seattle – feeding us and giving a place to camp. She has also worked hard at spreading the word south of the border.